I love going through old food magazines. I rip out all the recipes that are inspiring and those that I hope to try one day. Well this was one of those afternoons. If you like sweet potatoes – I happen to love them – this is the soup for you. The chipotle chili addition is fantastic. I almost jumped up and down with delight. It brings the love out of the same out sweet potato soup and makes it memorable. Can a soup be memorable?
(Recipe adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- coarse salt & ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (2 lbs total) peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 whole chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
- 7 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- sour cream, cilantro, salted tortilla chips, optional for serving
1. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to brown around the edges, about 7 mins. Add cumin & garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 min. Stir in sweet potatoes, chile, and broth. Bring to a boil’ reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover and cook until sweet potatoes can be mashed easily with a spoon, 20 to 25 mins.
2. Let soup cool slightly. Using an immersion blender, puree soup in the pot. You can use a blender if you work in batches.
3. Season with salt & pepper. (This is where I added some chopped cilantro). Serve and Enjoy.
*Top with sour cream or serve with tortilla chips.