Quinoa is my new favorite grain. It is high in protein. It actually contains more high quality protein than any other grain. And to top it all off, it’s light, tasty and easy on the stomach. Win.
On to the recipe…when you read through these ingredients, you might think it is a strange combination. Well, it is. I promise you they all go so well together. A party in your mouth. All the different layers, make this a unique meal.
I made this for one. Me. So double it if you want more or if you are using it for a side. I was hungry and ate this whole thing. Don’t judge me.
Sweet Potato Quinoa
- 1/2 uncooked Quinoa
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 pinches smoked paprika
- feta cheese
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 pinches cilantro (about 2 tablespoons chopped) or more if are like me
1. Roast sweet potato for 20 minutes coated with olive oil and a little sprinkle of salt and pepper. I used my toaster oven for this part at 400 degrees. They came out nice and brown.
2. Cook Quinoa in 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cover for 10 minutes.
3. While the quinoa and potato is cooking, saute the chopped onion in the olive oil. Saute for 3 minutes on medium low. Add garlic, salt and pepper (to taste) towards the end for about a minute. When the quinoa and sweet potato are done cooking, add them to the pan with the onion and garlic. Sprinkle smoked paprika and toss to coat and mix everything together.
4. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle on desired amount of feta cheese, scallions and cilantro. Enjoy!
*I added another sprinkle of salt and pepper to my dish. I like salt and it needed it. Each to his/her own 🙂