When it’s rainy and dark outside on a Spring day in Colorado, what do you make for lunch? White Bean Chicken Chili. WBCC for short. It is light and packed full of flavors. This takes 35 minutes to cook. And in that amount of time your house is full of aromas that usually take all day to create. My slow cooker isn’t liking me these days.
Wait, it just started to snow. Yep, Colorado weather keeps you on your toes.
Now I’m warm and craving more. Oh, what to have for dinner?
White Bean Chicken Chili
*makes 2 quarts
- 3 boneless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more for chili
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 white/yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more if desired)
- freshly ground pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 4oz. can diced fire roasted green chilies
- 2-3 tablespoons masa (depending on how thick you want your chili)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon medium chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups water (with 2 bouillon cubes) or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5oz can of petite diced Tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
- 1 15oz can navy beans
- Cilantro, sour cream, white cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, hot sauce – any and all can be added on top!
1. To poach chicken breast, cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to water. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from water and let rest. Water can be discarded.
2. Meanwhile, heat large pot on medium heat. Toss in onion and green pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1 more minute. Add green chilies, masa, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and water/broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and lower heat so that it is barely bubbling.
3. Dice chicken into bit sized pieces or smaller. You could shred the chicken as well. Combine into pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Pour in tomatoes and beans. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Add more cayenne pepper now, if desired.
5. Serve hot. Adding cilantro, sour cream, cheese to the top is always nice.