Homemade BBQ sauce is a cinch to make. It’s as easy as 2+2. Okay, that doesn’t make sense. But for real – throw together the ingredients, stir them and you have it. This is finger licking good. Make sure you have lots of napkins close by!
Naturally, The Pioneer Woman gave me the inspiration but I of course added a little bit of this and that to make it my own. Mr. A thought it was a hit too. He even wanted to save the tablespoon of left over sauce for later!
Black Pepper and BBQ Molasses Chicken Sandwiches
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman and Cooking Light.
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fleshly ground black pepper + 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- 4 tablespoons Chipotle Adobo Sauce (Chipotle Peppers Are Packed in this sauce)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- dash of salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- pinch (or more) red pepper flakes
- 6-8 boneless Chicken Thighs
- Crescent rolls
- ** pickles, sliced red onion, cold slaw….to add on top, if you want
1. Saute garlic in oil in medium-sized pan/pot for 2-3 minutes on medium. Please be careful not to burn the garlic.
2. Add the remaining sauce ingredients from ketchup to red pepper flakes to the pot (reserving 1/2 teaspoon black pepper). Stir to combine. Heat for 1 minute and stir occasionally. Turn heat off.
3. Trim chicken thighs – if desired (I remove the larger areas of fat). Place on rimmed cookie sheet (line with foil or be prepared to soak it over night to get it clean). Spoon sauce over chicken – you want each thigh to be coated with the sauce – there will be left over sauce. Sprinkle each thigh with black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn thighs over and sprinkle remaining black pepper on top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and ‘pull apart’ or shred chicken with 2 forks.
4. Toast rolls and add a heaping amount of chicken on each roll. Pour more BBQ sauce on top. EAT!