I think you might know that I like chicken. And now since chicken week is over at school, I’ve been cooking it again at our house. I love a good roasted chicken…but when I have a lonely can of beer, I think beer can chicken. It is so moist (dis-like that word very much) since the steam from the beer permeates into the entire chicken.
It is really unbelievable.
You just have to try it to believe me. I shocked myself. I actually shocked myself by saying the word that I dis-like so much over and over again while Mr. A and I dined with mouthful’s of chicken in my mouth.
A ‘stainless steel chick can rack’ is very helpful in this process. If you do not own one – purchase one for $6-8 or balance the drumsticks and the beer can on the grill racks – be careful when removing – have a sheet pan to quickly transfer chicken/beer onto.
Beer Can Chicken
For the Chicken
- 3 1/2 – 4 lb. whole chicken, thawed, cleaned and patted dry
- 1/2 can beer, any brand
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fleshly ground pepper
- 1/2 onion, potato or lemon (to seal the neck cavity)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 heaping teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste