Food: Ginger Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry.
Stir frying is fun. It’s action packed. Seriously. Try it.
There is something about making your own ‘take out’ that makes you feel better. Don’t you think? It is so much more satisfying and healthy. The ginger and crisp vegetables add a great texture and flavor punch – add a little scallion rice to each mouthful. Heaven!
Ginger Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 1 heaping teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons Oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tamari (soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Oil
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small carrot, julienne
- 1/4 onion, sliced or diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (handful) cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- jasmine rice
1. In a medium bowl, combine ginger, Teriyaki, oyster, Hoisin, Tamari and water. Stir. Remove 2 tablespoons of sauce mixture and place to the side in a small bowl. Add chicken to medium bowl with sauce mixture. Toss to coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
2. Add cornstarch to the 2 tablespoons sauce mixture. Stir to combine.
3. Heat large skillet or wok with Peanut oil on medium to high heat. Add chicken in batches – make sure there is one layer of chicken. Cook for 1 minute then turn over for another 1-2 minutes. The chicken will be heated through at the end, so no need to cook it through. Reserve chicken and any cooking liquid in a bowl.
4. Add broccoli, carrot, onion and zucchini to heated skillet/wok (no need to clean if after the chicken – you want all those flavors!). Toss every 10 seconds or so – for 2 minutes. Add sauce and cornstarch mixture – to coat vegetables. Add chicken (and liquid) mix to combine all ingredients. Cook on high for 2-3 more minutes.
5. Serve hot with jasmine rice – sprinkle with cilantro and green onion!