Potatoes are a usual side at our house. Mr. A is a huge fan while I seem to eat 1 or 2 – but when gorgonzola cheese is added, I can’t stop eating them! And they just happen to be pretty easy to prepare when I haven’t really thought about sides to our main entrée.
The crispy brown crunch that forms around the potatoes and then the contrasting melting gorgonzola is a hit! It is so nice to cut through the crunching outside into the warm soft center of each potato.
Smashed Red Potatoes with Gorgonzola
- 12-15 red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gorgonzola cheese
1. Par-boil or microwave potatoes for 10 minutes or until slightly soft.
2. Heat cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Place potatoes in pan (make sure water doesn’t drip into pan for it will spit back at you – dry potatoes are best!). Using a metal spatula or large fork press down on the middle of each potato – so that they break/crack open. Potatoes should be about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Heat for 8 minutes on one side, then flip. Turn heat down to medium after they have been flipped – the pan will stay hot. Place butter into pan – great for flavor and color – mix around.
4. When ready to serve sprinkle gorgonzola on top of potatoes. I keep more on the side for people to add to their plates, if they are like me and like more cheese!