This was/is my first pesto making of the summer. I was looking for a quick meal just to serve one person, myself. And it just happens that our basil plants are growing like crazy so it was time for me to trim off some of the larger leaves. I had enough leftovers for another single serving to freeze for another time.
I don’t buy a lot of pine nuts – love the flavor but I’m not too crazy about the price tag. I have a very large bag of sliced roasted almonds in my pantry so I tossed them into the mix. The combination of basil, garlic, almonds and olive oil creates such a fresh simple sauce that melts and spreads when it hits the hot pasta.
Sprinkle a little freshly grate Parmesan over the top and you have yourself a meal.
Oh, wait, I can’t forget the zucchini. I have to be honest, the zucchini is kind of lost in this dish but I felt better incorporating it in than throwing it away. It is not essential but I ended up eating less pasta because the zucchini was in the mix and added some filler and balance – without that I probably would have eaten 4 bowls of pasta instead of the 2 with the zucchini.
This recipe is so easy. I mean with a few fresh ingredients this can be made in a snap. Like I said, it’s easy….
Pesto Pasta with almonds and zucchini
made for 1 but can easily be doubled, tripled, etc…
- 2 cups basil leaves, washed
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-3 tablespoons sliced roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini, patted dry with paper towel.
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine basil leaves, garlic, almonds and olive oil in a food processor. Mix until everything is incorporated and it forms a paste – add more oil if it is too chunky. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then taste. Add more if desired.
2. Cook pasta according to package. When the pasta had 3 minutes remaining cooking time, add shredded zucchini to a dry saute pan that has been preheated on medium/high heat. Cook until the moisture has evaporated. Drain pasta. Add zucchini to draining pasta. Stir/toss (using tongs) to drain all water and incorporate zucchini and pasta together.
3. Add desired serving size to bowl and add 1 tablespoon of pesto at a time. I added 3 tablespoons to mine – I like pesto! Sprinkle cheese on top. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve as quickly as possible!