Nothing like a Monday morning post with this healthy treat as the star…
There isn’t much to say about this. I mean ice cream in general really doesn’t need an explanation or even an introduction.
I used the same chocolate that was in the Rich Chocolate Ice Cream with peanuts and coffee. Dagoba Organic Chocolate has little bits of chocolate within the cocoa powder already – so making this double chocolate was an easy step.
No more words to be said about this recipe. It’s a must in the finally days of summer.
Double Chocolate Butterscotch Swirl Ice Cream
- 12 oz. Whole Milk
- 12 oz. Heavy Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 oz. Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 6 oz. Semi- sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted butterscotch chips
1. In a saucepan combine the milk, 1 cup of the cream and half of the sugar. Scald.
2. Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks, cocoa, rest of the sugar and salt to a bowl. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
3. Temper the hot milk into the egg mixture and back to the saucepan.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until it is nappe (it should coat the back of the spoon without running off). Should take about 4-5 minutes. Don’t let it boil.
5. Pour the custard over the chopped chocolate and let it melt the chocolate before stirring the chocolate custard smooth.
6. Add the vanilla and remaining cream and stir to combine. Strain and chill thoroughly in an ice bath.
7. Add to ice cream machine and process. When it is finished churning, drizzle in melted butterscotch while machine is moving. Once it is combined turn machine off. Freeze ice cream for at least 4 hours or over night!
Taking pictures of ice cream is hard. My mouth doesn’t stop watering and I quickly forget that I need to take more pictures while the spoon keeps entering my mouth with large bites of this goodness…ah.