Blueberries are my favorite berry.
When I’m in the mood for quick baking I turn to muffins. and I always think of blueberry muffins. Yes, I should probably be a bit more adventurous but hey, at least I know what I like.
Look at the lonely half of muffin without butter. What a shame.
Thanks to The Pioneer Woman for this recipe circa August 2008 -There is nothing like bringing back a recipe from 2008. I mean that was years ago.
I doctored it up a bit for the mile high city that I live in. And according to the PW herself, these are the awesome-est blueberry muffins…you be the judge.
Jumbo Yogurt and Blueberry Muffins
Yield= 1 dozen
- 3 cups minus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 heaping cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
1. In a large bowl sift flour, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, vanilla, egg, yogurt and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients and stir for 10 seconds.
3. Add blueberries, reserving 1/2 cup, to mixture and stir 3 times.
4. Add mixture to muffin pans sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining berries on top and press down lightly. Combine turbinado sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon together. Sprinkle sugar mixture over top.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy toasted and warm or at room temperature.