I know. This looks amazing. It tastes amazing too.
Summer Salad, you say?
They are root vegetables so I am in the right season. When I look at this I think of summer though..but back to winter because these striped beets remember me of Christmas. Yes, I’ve had a lot of coffee today.
And to clarify, the beets are not Asian. The salad is Asian because of the sesame oil and the rice wine vinegar. I don’t want you going to the grocery store and asking for Asian beets. That would just be awkward.
This picture above is a bit blurring in spots, but look at where it is focused. The layers of beets! This makes me smile.
Asian Striped Beet and Carrot Salad
adapted from Epicurious
Yield – 2 large salads or 4 side salads
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil
- splash of rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 small-medium striped beets, cleaned and peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1/4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
1. In a small bowl, combine hazelnuts through sesame oil. Mix to combine. Add pepper and salt to taste.
2. Using a mandoline on the thinnest setting, slice beets and carrots. Add sliced vegetables to dressing mixture. Toss gently with hands (or spoon). Add chopped parsley.
3. Let sit a free minutes before serving. Can be made the day before serving – the flavors are all the more developed.