Check out this sandwich. You have to try this one. It was super quick for a mid week meal outside in the heat.
Don’t be intimated by making your own bbq sauce. It is a long list of ingredients but it takes less than 10 minutes to pull it all together. Pull everything out of your pantry then just go down the line with your tablespoons and teaspoons, dumping them into a mixing bowl.
I made caramelized onions to top my pork then smothered it with the mustard bbq sauce. The sweetness of the onions and the tangy sauce and spicy pork was a delicious combination!!
And serve it with a side of baked beans (from the can :)) and a healthy heaping of greens!
Spice-Rubbed Pork loin Sandwich with Mustard BBQ Sauce
adapted from CookingLight Magazine
- 2 bacon slices, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 of 1 onion)
- 1/2 yellow mustard (dijon works great)
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1-2 pork tenderloins, trimmed of fat
- sliced good quality bread, toasted if desired.
Preheat grill to medium high heat – at least 375 degrees.
1. To prepare sauce, cook bacon in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until almost crisp – stirring the pan occasionally. Add chopped onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mustard and next 5 ingredients to pan, and bring to a boil or rapid simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. To prepare pork, combine brown sugar and next 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well; rub mixture evenly over pork.
3. Place pork on grill rack. Grill for 20 minutes or until a thermometer registers at 155 degrees. Let pork rest for at least 10 minutes. Cut pork crosswise into 1/2 inch-thich slices.
4. Assemble sandwiches. Place sliced pork on top of toasted bread and layer with mustard sauce and caramelized onions and, top with remaining bread. Dig in!!