What is your favorite candy?
It might now be obvious what mine is.
You know those mini sized boxes of Junior Mints? Besides being just plain cute, they give you the perfect portion of mint and chocolate…I try to eat one but that usually doesn’t happen. Kind of like cupcakes..you feel fine about eating one because of the small portion but then realize that you have just consumed 5 while thinking about it!
Besides Junior Mints being my favorite candy. My favorite ice cream is mint. In front of coffee and chocolate.
You can’t tell this is mint ice cream can you? I know you are used to that artificial green color ‘they’ call mint. Me too, don’t worry. The mint extract really gives this ice cream a punch. Its powerful. So fresh and minty tasting – hows that for a description?!?!?!
Make this before the weather gets too chilly..or wait until the dead of the winter and dream about summer nights!
Junior Mint and Chocolate Wafer Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 8 oz sugar
- 2 teaspoons Peppermint Extract
- 4 large chocolate wafers
- 1 box junior mints
1. Heat milk, heavy cream, half of sugar and peppermint extract in a saucepot over medium high heat. Stirring occasionally. Combine egg yolks and remaining half of sugar in a bowl. When milk begins to form small bubbles on the edge of the pot, turn down to low. Add a ladle full of the hot milk mixture to the yolk bowl while whisking constantly. This is called tempering. Add about 3-4 more ladle full, while whisking constantly.
2. Combine the tempered yolk mixture into the remaining milk mixture pot. Turn heat up slightly, and stir constantly with a rubber spatula. Cook until nape consistency – until it coats the back of the spoon. Be careful not to over cook it.
3. Strain and cool. Once cool put into prepared ice cream maker. Process. When it is almost finished churning, add crumbled chocolate wafers and junior mints to the mix. Let the ice cream maker combine them.
4. Freeze until frozen, at least a few hours. Enjoy with more junior mints and wafers on top!